Water And Wastewater Maintenance Helper
Village of Saranac Lake, Department of Public Works
Title: Water and Wastewater Maintenance Helper
Department: Department of Public Works (DPW)
Location: Village of Saranac Lake
Jurisdictional Class: Non-Competitive Class Appointment
Full Time: 40 hours per week
Application deadline: Until position is filled
Hourly Rate: $17.38/Hour
Residency: Residency is waived
Distinguishing Features of the Class:
These duties involve working with water and wastewater lines. The work is performed under the direction of high-ranking department employees who provide training and guidance. Does related work as required.
Typical Work Activities:
- Learns and assists in the cleaning of wastewater lines and the general maintenance and surveillance of water lines;
- Assists in the replacement of broken water and wastewater lines;
- Answer calls from individuals and determines if necessary work is a responsibility of individual property owners or the municipality;
- Learns the maintenance and operation of water and wastewater treatment and/or pumping stations and assists in this work;
- May be assigned to assist in the wastewater treatment plant;
- May perform custodial duties in connection with maintenance of buildings and grounds.
Full Performance, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Personal Characteristics:
- Ability to learn the practices, problems and safety precautions used in the maintenance and repair of water and wastewater lines;
- Working knowledge of tools and equipment used in maintaining water distribution and wastewater collection systems;
- Ability to perform heavy manual work for extended periods;
- Willingness to work under adverse weather conditions;
- Willingness to work unusual hours;
Six months of experience as a plumber’s helper or in the maintenance of water or wastewater lines.
Must have valid New York State Driver’s license to operate a motor vehicle upon application.
Generous benefits package including NYS Retirement System
HOW TO APPLY:
- Please send a resume and application with references to:
Village of Saranac Lake
Attn: Payroll Department
39 Main St., Suite 9
Saranac Lake, NY 12983
- Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
- The Village will contact prospective applicants to schedule interviews; please do not call the office directly.
Date Posted: 07-22-2021
Expire Date: Open until filled
Contact Name: Lidia O'Kelly, Deputy Clerk/Treasurer
Contact Email: email@example.com