The code enforcement office fulfills its mission through plan review, periodic inspections, and identifying and correcting violations.
The Code Enforcement Officer administers and enforces all the provisions of the NYS Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code (Uniform Code) as per Chapter 10 of the Code of the Village of Saranac Lake. Effective May 12, 2020, the New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code was amended and updated to incorporate the following publications:
Building permits are required for any work that must conform to the Uniform Code. This includes the construction, enlargement, alteration, improvement, removal, relocation or demolition of any building or structure or any portion thereof.
Other projects requiring building permits are:
- Installation of a solid fuel burning heating or cooling appliance, chimney or flu in any dwelling unit
- Electrical service upgrades
- Window replacement
There are exemptions to the building permit requirement based upon the nature of the repair. For more information, please contact the Code Enforcement office.
Please read the Building Requirements for Decks being filling out the application.
Fill out the building permit application today.
Or, check out the demolition permit application.
The Code Enforcement Officer or an inspector authorized by the Code Enforcement Officer will conduct multiple types of inspections.
- Building projects may require multiple inspections. The Code Enforcement Officer will conduct these inspections, with the exception of electrical inspections. Contact the Code Enforcement Office for a list of approved third party electrical inspectors.
- The Code Enforcement Officer conducts periodic inspection of areas of assembly, businesses, and apartment buildings with three or more apartments on a routine basis.
- The Code Enforcement Officer conducts fire safety and property maintenance inspections on a routine basis.
Unified Solar Permits
Unified solar permitting is available statewide for eligible solar photovoltaic (PV) installations. This office provides the permitting process through the following application.
To learn more about the rights of tenants check out this guide published by the NYS Office of the Attorney General
The Code Enforcement Officer will review and investigate complaints which allege or assert the existence of conditions or activities that fail to comply with the Uniform Code. Persons with complaints or question about a specific property should contact the Code Enforcement Office or file an online complaint.
1st Step: Building Permit
The Village of Saranac Lake's Planning/Code Enforcement Office works very hard to ensure that projects get off the ground and are completed in a safe manner that meets This starts with you:
- Before moving forward to the application process, please read up on the Requirements for Bulding a Deck.
- It is up to the applicant and any hired help to work to submit a substantive application. Once a plan has been put on paper, it is more accessible to each party to come together and make your dream deck, addition, renovation, or new building project a reality.
- *Project size does not always determine the need to complete a building permit application. If you are unsure whether your home or business project triggers a building permit process, please contact the Code Enforcement office, (518)891-4150.