These are the tools for starting, maintaining, and growing a business in the Saranac Lake area...
We are armed with small business experience, and we understand your perspective and have the know-how to get things done. Throughout the region there are area experts backed by reputable organizations to provide the attention that you need in order to run a business.
If you have a business idea and a detailed business plan, then your next step is to acquire business funding to actually get the business started. The financing you need to launch, maintain or grow your business can come from a variety of sources, including banks, SBA, crowdfunding, or grants. Learn more
Adirondack Economic Development Corp. (AEDC)
AEDC works with would-be business owners of all shapes and sizes to develop formal business plans. It also provides a comprehensive entrepreneurship-training course taught by certified instructors that provides business owners – or those who would like to be business owners – with a wide range of skills they will need to be successful in the long term. AEDC also offers business loans for those looking to get started or to take their business to the next level. Learn more
County of Franklin IDA
The Franklin County IDA staff provide assistance to new and existing businesses. Services offered include:
- A broad range of financing resources such as bonding, payments-in-lieu-of-taxes (PILOT) along with tax treatment for bonds, sales and use taxes and mortgage recording tax.
- Assistance with site selection and development for both commercial and industrial purposes
- Franklin County Micrienterprise Program - grant funding for new and expanding businesses
- Franklin County Main Street Program - matching grant program to assist commercial property owners with the cost of building renovations
- Loans for real estate, equipment and machinery, inventory and working capital
- Assistance with navigating the various incentives programs offered by state agencies (e.g. ESD, NYSERDA, NYPA, etc.)
Essex County IDA
The Essex County IDA (ECIDA) offeres a variety of incentive and financing opportunities. The ECIDA is also able to partner with New York State and other Regional development organizations. Learn more
- Essex County IDA Loan Program
- Tax-Exempt Industrial Bonds (IRB's)
- Straight Lease Transactions
- PILOT (Payment in lieu of Taxes)
- Property Tax Abatement
North Country Center for Businesses in Transition
The Adirondack North Country Center for Businesses in Transition addresses the loss of area businesses by providing matchmaking services with potential buyers, access to planning tools and connection with existing services. The goal is to help owners sell their businesses on the open market, complete intergenerational family transitions or convert to an employee-owned or cooperative model. Learn more
Small Business Development Center (SBDC)
The SBDC is a great place to start if you are looking to:
- Write a business plan
- Discover sources of funding
- Prepare for e-commerce
- Develop a marketing plan
- Assess an invention’s viability
- Comply with licensing & regulations
These services are FREE of charge! Learn more
Energize Downtown Fund Accepting Applications through Feb. 28th
The Energize Downtown Fund provides matching grant funds to commercial and mixed-use properties in the Saranac Lake DRI target area. Property owners, business owners, entrepreneurs and non-profit organizations are eligible to apply for funds for interior and exterior building improvements, site upgrades and enhancements and commercial rent assistance. The application and guidelines can be found here. Contact Jamie Konkoski if you have any questions.
The mission of the Saranac Lake Area Chamber of Commerce provides services and representation for the members and generates economic development through promotional and marketing strategies. The Chamber provides business-building initiatives that focus on the critical priorities of the Saranac Lake community.
The North Country Chamber of Commerce is a regional chamber serving Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Hamilton and northern Warren Counties in New York State and southern Quebec. With more than 3,200 members, it is the largest business and economic development alliance in northern New York. Visit the website for a full list of services and activities.