Water & Sewer
The Water and Sewer Division of the DPW works to provide safe drinking water throughout the Village. Along with the responsibility for conveying potable water through 40 miles of water mains from village wells, the Water and Sewer Division staff are also responsible for maintaining 33 miles of sewer main lines from the connection on your property to the Waste Water Treatment Plant located on Route 3 about one mile to the Northeast of the Village.
The Water & Sewer Division's responsibilities include:
- Operation of the Waste Water Treatment Plant (WWTP)
- Inspection and maintenance of the sanitary sewer mains
- Mandated Department of Environmental Conservation / Environmental Protection Agency (DEC/EPA) laboratory testing
- Operation and maintenance of Village-owned lift stations
- Maintenance of water and sewer mains as outlined in agreements with the towns of Harrietstown, St. Armand, and North Elba (the WWTP also accepts sewage from the state and federal correctional facilities in Ray Brook).
- Delivery of fresh drinking water to Village residents and water district customers.
- Mandated Department of Health (DOH) daily monitoring of approved sites for chlorine residuals (used for Disinfection) and zinc orthophosphate residuals (used for corrosion control).
- Maintain water mains and laterals to the curb of homes
The Village works to set water and sewer rates each year. To find out the current year's rates visit the Water and Sewer Rates Schedule
Sewer System – the Village sewer system comprises 33 miles of pipeline, which includes sewer lift stations, gravity main and forced main, and hundreds of sanitary manholes. Age of sewer mains ranges from 1900 to present. The pipe system includes clay tile pipe, plastic pipe, and cast-iron pipe.
Water System – the Village water system is comprised of 40 miles of pipeline which includes transmission mains, distribution mains and service lines. Age of pipelines range from 1950 to present. The water system includes cast-iron, ductile iron, and high-density polyethylene pipes. The system also includes fire hydrants and approximately 2,135 water meters.
Waste Water Treatment Facility –The WWTP treats and average daily flow of 1.8 million gallons per day. Leftover sludge is transported to the Franklin County Landfill.
Water & Sewer Emergencies
In the event of a sewer emergency, a little trouble shooting can go a long way to quickly fixing the problem. If you are not the building owner, inform the building owner/manager of the problem and work with the owner/manager to trouble shoot in an attepmt to fix the problem. Some tips to keep in mind:
- If the clog is in the building (such as a toilet) or in the service line from the building, contact a plumber. If the problem is not due to the building's system, the plumber will contact the Department of Public Works to ensure that the Village's system is functioning properly.
- Sometimes a clogged sewer main will cause a manhole to overflow. Please notify us if you see this happen.
- If the sewer emergency appears to be due to a clog in a publicly-owned main contact us.
- Contact us to report a water leak or water emergency.
- During normal business hours (Mon-Fri 7AM-3PM), call the DPW (518)891-4160, or the Water & Sewer division (518)891-3037. After hours, contact the Saranac Lake Fire Department at (518)891-2333.
The WWTP assigned staff also operate a compost facility where Village residents may dispose of leaves and brush. This facility is fully staffed during normal business hours and even has set weekend hours. In order to drop off compost materials, you must be a Village resident and obtain a compost permit for non-commercial use. Contact the Water and Sewer Division with any questions regarding the compost facility (518)891-3037.
Saranac Lake, NY 12983
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 7:00am-3:00pm
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 7:00am-2:30pm
Saturday - Sunday 7:00am-12:00 pm
At this time, we will only be accepting leaves and lawn clippings. Brush, trees and branches of any size will be prohibited at this time. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the compost facility, please call 518-891-4160.
Water & Sewer Accounts
To set up a water or sewer account, pay your water or sewer bill, or for any other billing concerns, call (518)891-4150 ext. 232 during normal business hours from 8AM-5PM Mon.-Fri., or if you call during off hours, leave a message and we will be sure to get back to you.
Water Quality Report
The Village of Saranac Lake annually issues a report describing the quality of your drinking water. The purpose of this report is to raise your understanding of drinking water and awareness of the need to protect our drinking water sources.
Water & Sewer Division Recognition
In 2004 the WWTP recieved the prestigious Andrew M. Weist Operations and Maintenance Award for a Medium Advanced Waste Water Plant.