Motor Equipment Operator
Village of Saranac Lake
Title: Motor Equipment Operator
Location: Village of Saranac Lake
Jurisdictional Class: Non-Competitive Class
Full Time: 40 hours per week
Application deadline: Until position is filled
Hourly Wages: $18.58/Hour
Posting date: July 22, 2021
Residency: Residency is waived
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
This position entails recurring manual work involving responsibility for the safe and efficient operation of various types of motor equipment. The work is performed under supervision in accordance with established policies and procedures. General instructions are received regarding routine work and detailed instructions are received regarding new or unusual assignments. The work is reviewed by immediate observation, by checking completed work and by periodic or spot checks or by another step in the completion of the work. Supervision may be exercised over the activities of helpers and laborers. The incumbent does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative Only)
- Operates a truck in connection with the removal of snow, refuse, and garbage, and in the transportation of stone, gravel and supplies;
- Operates a tractor or truck with snow loader, snow plow, bulldozer, or other attachment;
- Operates a power grader, roller, bulldozer or other road construction equipment;
- Operates a power shovel and power shovel with crane attachment;
- Performs preventive maintenance on automotive equipment;
- Performs manual labor, such as loading trucks, digging ditches, flushing sewers, cleaning culverts, etc.;
- Transports heavy equipment to construction jobs;
- May operate rotary snow plow;
- May supervise a small group of laborers as specific tasks require.
FULL PERFORMANCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Good knowledge of the operation of tractors, trucks and other automotive equipment;
- Good knowledge of the geography of the area;
- Ability to understand and follow simple oral and written directions;
- Mechanical aptitude;
- Willingness to respond to emergencies;
- One year of experience in the operation of a motor vehicle with some experience driving trucks or other vehicles with four speed transmissions.
- Possession of an appropriate NYS commercial drivers license (CDL) required at time of application.
- If Position requires, possession of a NYS class A or B license at time of application
Generous benefits package including NYS Retirement System
HOW TO APPLY:
- Please send a resume and application with references to:
Village of Saranac Lake
Attn: Payroll Department
39 Main St., Suite 9
Saranac Lake, NY 12983
- Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
- The Village will contact prospective applicants to schedule interviews; please do not call the office directly.
Date Posted: 07-22-2021
Expire Date: Open until filled
Contact Name: Lidia O'Kelly, Deputy Clerk/Treasurer
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org