Village of Saranac Lake
Facility Name: William Wallace Memorial Beach
Location: Lake Colby Drive, Saranac Lake NY
Jurisdictional Class: Non-Competitive Class
Seasonal: 40 hours per week
Application deadline: Until position is filled
Hourly Rate: $15.00
Posting date: March 24, 2021
Residency: Residency is waived
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
The work involves responsibility for performing routine patrol work looking after the safety and welfare of the bathers at a swimming area. Duties are performed with strict adherence to established safety rules and regulations. There is, however, considerable responsibility for the exercise of sound judgement in emergencies. An error in judgement might result in loss of life; therefore, consequence of error must be the greatest consideration of a Lifeguard while on duty. The incumbent does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative only)
- Provides close supervision over all swimmers while on duty standing watch or patrolling the pool or beach; keeping bathers within bounds and going to their aid when they are in difficulty;
- Applies resuscitation techniques and otherwise renders first aid;
- Instructs beginners in swimming;
- Inspects assigned life guarding and first aid equipment daily;
- Sweeps and disinfects pool deck or rakes beach, removing cans, glass, bottles, litter, and other debris;
- Keeps order among swimmers;
- Enforces pool or beach rules;
- During inclement weather, may, as assigned, assist maintenance crews in simple park maintenance such as lawn mowing, grounds trimming, picking up litter, sweeping and mopping floors, cleaning lavatories and water closets, refilling paper towel and tissue dispensers, and simple maintenance and repair of beach equipment such as first aid boxes, life guard buoys, poles, paddleboards, boats and beach signs.
FULL PERFORMANCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES. AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Good knowledge of first aid, life savings and rescue work as applies to accidents in the water; ability to swim well; ability to deal with the public and to secure cooperation without unnecessary antagonism;
- Working Knowledge of pool or swimming area operation and maintenance; ability to make simple reports; good observation; mental alertness; good moral character; excellent physical condition.
Proof of certification is required at time of application.
- Possession of a valid American Red Cross basic life support for the professional rescuer cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificate; and
- Possession of a valid lifeguard training certificate from a certifying agency (such as the American Red Cross, Boy Scouts, YMCA) acceptable to the State Health Commissioner.
- Possession of the American Red Cross Water Front Life Guarding Certificate.
Annual CPR Recertification is required.
Lifeguarding Certification are valid for a maximum of three (3) years from the date of issuance.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Please send an application to:
Village of Saranac Lake
Attn: Payroll Department
39 Main St., Suite 9
Saranac Lake, NY 12983
- Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
- The Village will contact prospective applicants to schedule interviews; please do not call the office directly.
Date Posted: 03-25-2021
Expire Date: Open until filled
Contact Name: Lidia O'Kelly, Deputy Clerk/Treasurer
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org