Department of Public Works, Village of Saranac Lake
Title: Laborer (Seasonal)
Department: Department of Public Works
Location: Village of Saranac Lake
Jurisdictional Class: Labor
Full-Time: 40 hours per week
Application deadline: Until position is filled
Hourly rate: $15.00 /Hour
Posting date: March 24, 2021
Residency: Residency is waived
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
This work involves routine manual work requiring physical endurance and a willingness to perform various tasks. Laborers usually work under continuing supervision or their activities are subject to frequent inspection. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative Only)
- Assists in maintenance, repair and cleaning of buildings and equipment;
- Helps install and/or repair general plumbing equipment, such as sinks, toilets and drains;
- Performs minor repairs on a variety of mechanical devices such as air compressors, vacuum cleaners, fans, etc.;
- Operates trucks, pickup trucks with plow attachment and/or sweeper broom, automobiles, road side mowers, chain saws, jack hammers, compaction equipment, air compressors, wood chippers, and other motorized equipment;
- Takes part in general grounds maintenance activities;
- Serves as general handyman performing a variety of unskilled duties;
- Does painting, cleaning, and washing of bridges and bridge steel;
- Assists in the maintenance or construction of roads, streets, utility and drainage systems by digging and backfilling trenches, spreading asphalt, sand and gravel;
- Assists in preparation, laying out and maintenance of athletic fields and areas designated for beatification by clearing, grading, seeding, weeding and lining;
- Operates power driven tools and equipment such as saws, compressors, drills, mixers, pumps and mowers;
- Uses hand tools such as shovels, scythes, forks and rakes in grounds maintenance and beautification work;
- Loads and unloads trucks and stacks material and supplies;
- Acts as flagman on highway jobs directs trucks at loading and unloading sites;
- Assists in erecting or assembling snow fences, barricades, picnic tables and recreation equipment;
- Performs general clean-up work such as removing debris, raking leaves, cutting grass, and weeds, shoveling snow, and assisting in collection of rubbish and litter from public lands and facilities.
FULL PERFORMANCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Willingness to perform routine manual tasks; some knowledge of modern buildings, equipment and grounds maintenance and repair practices; industry; dependability; manual dexterity;
- Ability to lift heavy weights; ability to follow simple oral or written instructions;
- Willingness to work under all weather conditions, physical endurance; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
A. None is required, but some experience in manual labor is desirable.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Please send a resume and application with references to: Village of Saranac Lake
Attn: Payroll Department
39 Main St., Suite 9
Saranac Lake, NY 12983
- Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
- The Village will contact prospective applicants to schedule interviews; please do not call the office directly.
Date Posted: 03-25-2021
Expire Date: Open until filled
Contact Name: Lidia O'Kelly, Deputy Clerk/Treasurer
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org