Heavy Equipment Operator (SEASONAL)
Village of Saranac Lake
Title: Heavy Equipment Operator (Seasonal)
Location: Mount Pisgah Recreation Center
Jurisdictional Class: Non-Competitive Class
Seasonal: 40 hours per week
Application deadline: Until position is filled
Hourly Wages: $19.52/Hour
Posting date: October 27, 2020
Residency: Residency is waived
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
Operates one or more types of specialized heavy automotive equipment and performs a variety of manual tasks in connection with such operations; does other related work as required. This work involves responsibility for the efficient and safe operation of specialized heavy automotive equipment used in maintenance or construction projects. Greater skill is required than in the operation of smaller or less complex equipment and there is greater responsibility for the safety of others.
Responsibility is also involved for making semi-skilled repairs to equipment and for ordinary servicing. Supervision is received from a Supervisor who assigns tasks and inspects the work in the process and upon completion. Supervision may be exercised over a small crew of laborers and equipment operators.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative Only)
- Operates power shovel, bulldozer, power grader, crane, bucket loader, roller and other types of heavy equipment in the construction and maintenance of highways;
- Operates heavy snowplow in the clearing of roads;
- Operates heavy equipment in connection with cutting banks, cutting and filling ditches, removing stumps, stripping gravel pits and related highway department tasks;
- Performs semi-skilled maintenance and repair work on assigned equipment; Loads and unloads vehicles;
- Supervises variety of simple manual tasks such as cleaning culverts, shoveling snow, painting and road maintenance work.
FULL PERFORMANCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Good knowledge of the operation and maintenance of a variety of heavy automotive equipment;
- Ability to service and make minor repairs and adjustments to equipment;
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions; mechanical aptitude; dependability; good physical condition.
A. One year of experience in the operation of specialized or heavy motor equipment or two years of experience in the operation of lighter automotive equipment or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
A. Eligibility for an appropriate New York State Operator's License.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Please send a resume and application with references to:
Village of Saranac Lake
Attn: Payroll Department
39 Main St., Suite 9
Saranac Lake, NY 12983
- Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
- The Village will contact prospective applicants to schedule interviews; please do not call the office directly.
Date Posted: 10-27-2020
Expire Date: Open until filled
Contact Name: Lidia O'Kelly, Deputy Clerk/Treasurer
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org